A third party is neither a UCT staff member (T1, T2 and T3 contract staff and permanent staff) nor a registered student, but someone who requires access to one or more UCT facilities for a limited period (not exceeding six months).
There are two broad categories of third parties at UCT:
Individual third parties
- Contractor staff / consultant:
- A short-term or long-term consultant
- An employee of a UCT contractor
- An employee of a category 3 UCT organisation; or a member of NRF, PGWC or NHLS staff who are not joint staff, but work in UCT space and/or departments.
Note: Ad hoc, paid-on-claim staff (i.e. those not appointed on T-contracts or on a permanent basis) are provisioned as third party contractor staff or consultants. They are paid at the end of their work period via the HR department.
- Visiting academic: Staff member from another institution. They are formally visiting UCT for a short period to conduct research, lecturing or other academic activities. They are not at UCT on a paid appointment.
- Visiting student: Student from another university. They are informally visiting UCT for a short period to conduct research or other activities. For example, a foreign medical elective, or a student auditor (i.e. someone participating in a course for review purposes).
- Member of Council: Someone appointed / elected as a Member of the UCT Council.
- Library user: Someone using a UCT library or subscribing to any UCT library services.
- Conference attendee: Someone attending a conference on campus. Depending on the conference they are attending, they may be entitled to specific, limited access to facilities.
- Short course attendee: Someone attending a short course on campus.
- Family of UCT staff living in UCT accommodation: A relation of a UCT staff member who lives in UCT accommodation.
- Residence guest: A person temporarily staying at a UCT residence or at All Africa House. They are at UCT for a conference, holiday accommodation, or a short term stay.
Residence guest is the default role if no other third party role is appropriate. In addition, the following roles do not require electronic access and are not represented in the Third Party System: Conference attendee; Short course attendee; Family of UCT staff living in UCT accommodation; Residence guest.
associated with UCT
- Category 1: The organisation is legally part of UCT
- Category 2: The organisation provides contract services to UCT
- Category 3: The organisation is affiliated to, or partly owned, by UCT
- Category 4: The organisation is related to UCT
- Category 5: The organisation is a tenant of UCT property
Please visit the Service Portal Knowledge Base to see details of the facilities and services available to individual third parties. Note that you will need to log in using your UCT credentials.
Please visit the Service Portal Knowledge Base to see details of facilities and services available to third party organisations associated with UCT. Note that you will need to log in using your UCT credentials