- While you're still at UCT, set up your laptop or mobile device to use eduroam.
- When you visit another eduroam-affiliated institution, enable your device's wireless setting.
- Connect to the eduroam service, which will appear as a wireless service.
- Log on using your UCT username (e.g. email@example.com) and password.
- Instantaneously, the host institution will send an authentication request to verify your credentials. Once authenticated, you are able to access their wireless network and the internet.
UCT students and staff members can now access eduroam in 57 of the City of Cape Town's public libraries. The move is the culmination of about two years of negotiation and work involving TENET (Tertiary Education and Research Network of South Africa), the Cape Higher Education Consortium (CHEC), the four Western Cape universities, and the City of Cape Town.
It is thought to be the first instance of eduroam hosted on city-wide and city-owned infrastructure in Africa.
Visit the TENET website for further information.
Where is it available?
Access the eduroam South Africa interactive map to see which libraries eduroam is available at.