Microsoft Azure is a cloud-based platform. It offers users a host of remote computing products and services – such as virtual servers and machine learning. Azure for Students has been designed specifically with student* needs in mind. By using the service, you can host your projects in the cloud and use the many tools available to build and develop.
What does Azure for Students offer you?
The platform offers hundreds of cloud-based services for you to explore, develop, and create. These include full virtual machines and servers, machine learning, databases, file storage, networking, backups, analytics, and services for mobile and web apps. It supports many different programming languages, tools and frameworks, which include both Microsoft-specific and third-party software and systems.
How can you use it?
You can use integrated tools and built-in templates to build web and mobile apps. Once published, your apps can be run from the global network of Microsoft data centres. You can also experiment or develop with exciting technologies such as artificial intelligence and machine learning.
What do you get?
Microsoft is offering 25 free Azure services to all currently registered UCT STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) students* as well as US$100 credit to purchase their paid products on the platform.
Some of the free services (subject to change) include:
- Linux virtual machines: Create Linux virtual machines in seconds.
- SQL Database: Create an Azure SQL Database that delivers built-in intelligence.
- App Service: Quickly create powerful apps for any platform or device using your choice of tools – including Node.js and PHP.
- Microsoft IoT Hub: Connect to, monitor, and manage billions of IoT assets.
- Machine Learning Studio: Build powerful, cloud-based machine learning applications.
- Managed Disks: Store data more simply using secured disk storage for Azure Virtual Machines.
- Bandwidth (Data Transfer 15GB): Transfer data inbound and outbound through a robust network of global data centres.
- DevTest Labs: Enable fast, easy, and lean dev-test environments.
- Security Centre: Prevent, detect, and respond to threats with increased visibility and control over the security of your Azure resources.
How do you get it?
You can access this exciting offer at https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/students/
- Click on PORTAL in the top right-hand corner of your screen
- Sign in using your UCT credentials
To claim you free $100 credit:
- Go to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/students/ and scroll down the page
- Click on Claim your Azure credit now
- Enter your UCT credentials and sign in
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions
*NOTE: you must be a currently registered UCT STEM student to qualify for the free products and $100 credit.
- View a directory of the hundreds of services you can use.
- For more information, read the comprehensive FAQ on Azure for Students.
- Check out the blog post from the Student Developer Evangelism team introducing the program.