Software can be accessed from the Downloads page and, for staff, through ZENWorks. The software is available to you as long as you are a staff member or registered student. You will need to uninstall it when you leave the university.
Software is available under several licence conditions. Site-licensed software is software the university has licensed for use by staff and students (in some cases staff only) at the university. Proprietary software is not licenced by the university, and this you will have to buy yourself (such as the Windows operating system). Free software is also available on the Downloads page, and this is free to use and install (read the terms and conditions of the software to make sure you know what their acceptable use policy is). We also have an agreement with Adobe which allows you preferential pricing on their products.
Standard UCT software configuration
When you receive a machine from UCT, it has a standard set of software installed on it to enable you to do your work. This includes productivity software such as Microsoft 365, web browsers, media players and communication tools such as Microsoft Teams.
We also make certain free software available from the Downloads page. The free software includes Autograph, web browsers, media players, Gimp, OpenOffice and more.
Preferential pricing for Adobe products
While the full Adobe suite is not site-licensed, Adobe does give UCT preferential pricing on a range of Adobe products. This covers all Adobe software purchased using a UCT fund and cost centre and is for UCT-owned computers only.
UCT has entered into a number of site licence agreements that allow staff (and in some cases students) to use a wide range of software. This includes Trellix anti-virus software, a number of statistical analysis packages, an assistive reading package and referencing software such as Refworks and EndNote.
Unless otherwise stated, the software listed below is available to staff and to students, with the exception of Microsoft Windows, for installation on your personal computer as well as your UCT-owned machine.
- Operating System (staff and postdoctoral fellows only and only for UCT-owned machines)
- Office productivity software
- Microsoft 365 (for staff)
- Microsoft 365 (for students)
- Adobe Acrobat DC (staff only)
- Anti-virus software
- Statistical analysis software
- Statistica (for Windows only)
- Qualitative data analysis
- Referencing software
- Literacy assistance software
- Numerical computing
How do I get the software?
The Downloads page
- Navigate to the Downloads page and log on using your UCT student or staff number and password.
- Select your operating system.
- Select the type of software you are looking for.
- Browse through the applications to find what you need and download it.
- Follow the installation instructions.
Zenworks Software Distribution (Windows users only)
There should be a ZENworks Application shortcut on your Windows Desktop. If you do not have this shortcut, check that you have Zenworks Software Distribution (ZSD) installed by looking for the icon in your System Tray.
- If the Zenworks icon is not in your system tray, then it is not installed. In this case, please log a call with the IT Helpdesk for assistance.
Before using ZSD, ensure that you are logged into the UCT network.
- Double-click the ZENworks Application Folder on your desktop.
- Browse the applications.
- Double-click to install the application.
Some applications may require that you restart your computer to complete the installation process.