About the MCQ service
ICTS offers a Multiple Choice Questionnaire (MCQ) service to all UCT departments. After students complete the MCQ forms, the forms are scanned in using a specialised scanner and software. ICTS then produces the results in a Microsoft Word-compatible format.
Pricing and service details
MCQ forms are available in packs of 100 at a cost of R175.00 per pack. There are two types of forms:
- Multiple choice forms: 270 questions - with 5 choices per question
- True or false forms: 600 questions - with 2 choices per question
The price per pack includes:
- the cost of the forms
- the processing of forms
- an examiner's print out (list of correct answers, list of students' results, useful histograms and a statistical summary analysing the exam as a whole)
- an item analysis that assesses the quality of each question in the exam by analysing the pattern of response
- a notice board printout of results (the list of correct answers, list of the students' results and a histogram showing the distribution of final marks for the class)
Re-marking is also available on request. The first re-mark is free, but subsequent re-marks are charged at a rate of R100 per request.
How to use the MCQ service
1. Prepare the essentials
To use the MCQ service, please prepare:
- a list of the correct answers
- a list of the marks allocated per question
- a list of the penalties for wrong answers (if any)
- a copy of the class list in MS Excel format
Send these items to us as early as possible. The latest point at which we accept this information is at step 5 when you return the completed MCQ forms.
2. Make a booking
At least two weeks before you need the MCQ service, contact us to discuss your requirements. We will then prepare a quotation and, if you accept, we will make the booking and schedule your work.
Where bookings are made on short notice (i.e. less than the prescribed period) we may not be able to accommodate your request.
3. Order the MCQ forms
To order MCQ forms, send an email to email@example.com stating:
- the number of packs required (there are 100 forms per pack)
- your choice of form: either multiple choice or true/false forms
- where you will pick up the forms (CSS office on Upper Campus)
- the number of students in each batch
- the date by which you will deliver the forms to us for processing
- the method of payment (If paying by fund, please provide the fund number and cost centre details.)
Once we receive your order, we will contact you when your forms are ready for collection.
4. Use the MCQ forms
The forms include clear instructions explaining how to fill them in - including which type of pencil to use. Ask your students to follow these instructions precisely, ensuring that the required information is filled in the specific spaces provided.
If students use the wrong kind of pencil, or fill in the wrong areas, their answers won't be read by the scanner.
5. Return the MCQ forms to us
Ensure that you've given us all the required information, then return your completed MCQ forms to us at the CSS office on Upper Campus.
If you return the MCQ forms later than the agreed-upon date, there may be delays in returning your results to you.
6. Collect your results
We will notify you when your results are ready for collection.
Contact the MCQ service
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (021) 650 4500 (select option 2, then option 1)
- Physical address (for collections / deliveries):
Geological Sciences Extension Building
- Operating hours: 07h30 to 18h00, Monday to Friday