Res IT reps

Each year, student residences elect an IT Representative from their House Committee to assist residence students with basic IT questions and queries and to serve as a point of contact for Student Housing & Residence Life. While the IT Rep is available for assistance, ICTS emphasises the importance of streamlining the process for students to report IT issues directly through the service portal. This ensures immediate awareness and resolution of any technical problems encountered. Should you experience an IT-related problem in your residence, we encourage you to log a call online for swift attention and resolution.

If you have already reported a problem through the service portal but need to escalate it, you can send an email to with your incident number for further assistance.