NVivo is a powerful qualitative data analysis tool, with features that provide functionality far beyond that of the average statistics package. Rather than simple number-crunching, qualitative analysis is about exploring issues and finding the patterns in unstructured data. As a qualitative research software package, NVivo lets you analyse your materials, identify themes and patterns and develop meaningful conclusions, with powerful tools for classifying, sorting and arranging information.
How do I install NVivo?
NVivo is available for download from the Downloads section of the ICTS website:
- Download the Nvivo 14 64bit.exe executable zip file from the ICTS Downloads page.
- Locate the downloaded file, then right click NVivo 14 64bit.exe and select Run as administrator from the fly-out menu.
- In the NVivo 14 - InstallShield Wizard dialog box, click Install to continue with the installation.
- The installation process will start with extracting the files to your local machine. Thereafter, it will start with the NVivo installation.
- A command prompt window opens. The window closes automatically once the application has been installed. The licence is automatically activated.
Installations requiring the updated licence (NVivo 2020)
Note: If you have NVivo 12, you will need to uninstall it and then install the new NVivo 14
- Download the NVivo 2020 License Renewal.exe file from the ICTS Downloads page.
- Locate the downloaded filer, then right click NVivo 2020 License Renewal.exe and select Run as administrator from the fly-out menu.
- In the NVivo 2020 - InstallShield Wizard dialog box, click Install.
- A command prompt window opens but will automatically close once the new licence key has been installed.
- The NVivo license is now successfully updated.
You will need to download two files:
- NVivo 14.dmg
- NVivo 14 Installation Instructions_macOS.PDF
Full installation instructions are available in the NVivo 14 Installation Instructions_macOS.PDF file.
Use the licence key in the NVivo 14 Installation Instructions_macOS.PDF file to activate your NVivo installation.
Current staff members and registered students at UCT may install as many copies of NVivo as they need for their own use (e.g. on a desktop and laptop). Should you leave UCT's employ or are no registered as a student, you must remove the software.