Bytes have deployed Xerox devices across the various campuses, residences, and document centres for staff printing. All these devices support Follow-me printing, which means that you can release a print job from any Xerox printer on campus, regardless of where you printed from.
- Install papercut
- Set up your PIN code
- Basic printing instructions
- Print from the web interface
- Advanced features: Instructional videos
Set up your printing accounts and managing funds
Before you begin printing, all staff need to send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org to register their accounts and funds on Papercut:
- Cost centre
- Fund number
- Staff number
For your visitors
Visitor cards can be bought from the following document centres:
- Oppenheimer Document Centre – Upper Campus
- Masingene Print Room – Middle Campus
- Health Science Print Room – Medical Campus
- Graduate School of Business Print Room – GSB Campus
To assign the costs of the card to your department, please send an email to email@example.com and include the following information:
- Visitor card number
- Departmental cost centre
- Fund number
For your bursary students
If you have a printing fund that you wish to assign to your bursary students, please follow this procedure:
- Email a list of student numbers with the amounts allocated to each student, and the departmental cost centre and fund number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An invoice will be generated by Bytes for these amounts.
- Once invoiced, your department will need to raise a Purchase Order and send it back to Bytes (email@example.com) to load the printing funds for the respective students.
Manage your printing account
This is done through the MPS portal, where you can view your account summary, available funds, and transaction history. Please note that the MPS Portal is only available when you are connected to the UCT network on campus. Should you wish to access it from off campus, you will need to access your work computer using VPN.
Colour printers are clearly marked and located in the following areas across campus:
- 10 on Upper Campus
- 1 at GSB
- 2 at Hiddingh Hall
- 2 at Medical Campus
- 2 on Middle Campus
The exact locations of the colour printers are listed on the locations page.
Bulk and secure (exam) printing
- High-speed black-and-white printing (125 pages per minute)
- High-speed Colour printing (90 pages per minute)
- Finishing services
- Spiral binding
- Cover insertion
This is available in the following document centres:
- Medical campus
- Document Centre Oppenheimer
- Robert Leslie Commerce Building 1st Print Room
All Xerox devices are managed and maintained under a central managed solution, UCT Managed Print Services.
- Log calls:
- Tel: 021 650 1549
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Onsite support: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Telephonic support: Weekdays: 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. and Saturdays: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- After-hours telephonic support: Tel 021 650 4815 (This number is routed to the after hours support centre. Please request to speak to the UCT standby personnel).
Paper and toner management
All printing consumables, including paper and toner, are managed through the monitoring system on the devices. Should they need replacing, the onsite docu-care specialists will be notified and replace these consumables. Should you encounter an issue with toner or paper in a printer, please contact the support desk or use another printer.
- Tray locks: Keys for the tray locks can be left with a departmental representative upon request. Please contact email@example.com to arrange this.